Here are some great tips on things to be sure you do before you leave your home for vacation. Whether it’s for a few days, a week or more these will all come in handy and a few will save you some money.
These are all great tips, but #1 is really important…
- Do you need a house sitter? Check your insurance policy – some policies require you to have someone check the house on a regular basis while you’re away in order to be covered if something happens while you’re away. The details in the policy will say how often it needs to be checked on. If a leak were to happen on day one that you are away and it’s caught that day or the next day vs many days later the cost to fix the damage will be significantly different.
- Save energy – set the thermostat to a less comfortable temperature that still protects your pets, furniture and plants. Turn off things like water coolers and small appliances. Set your water heater to the vacation setting.
- Put at least one interior light on a timer.
- Turn on a motion activated outdoor floodlight.
- Tell the neighbours – let the neighbours know you will be away and they can keep an eye on the activity around your home. Let them know if someone is stopping in to check your home or not. Invite them to park in your driveway.
- Pause the newspaper delivery, have your mail held or have someone clear your mailbox so that it’s not full and obvious that you are away.
- If it’s winter – schedule a company or neighbour/friend to clear the driveway if it snows.
- If it’s summer – schedule a company or neighbour friend to keep the grass trimmed. Consider partially lowered shades and curtains to keep the hot sun out.
- Housework – Clean out the fridge of anything that could go bad while away and take out all the garbage. Water plants. Get the laundry done and put away, and give the bathrooms a scrubbing and the rest of the house a dust and vacuum. It’s really nice to walk back into a clean home!
Do you have a routine you follow when you leave home? If you have other suggestions, please share them with me! Join me on my Facebook page and share your ideas. www.facebook.com/Sheena.MurphyTC